Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Hey friends,

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts."
-Anonymous

It's been a while since i have updated you guys on how my internship has been going, so here's a brief update.
 I've been working at ID/Architecture for nearly four weeks now, and I'm loving almost every moment of it. The people in the office are such nice genuine people, with huge hearts for what they do, and the clients that they work with. Since my first day, I have been helping all the designers out in any way that I can. My main job has been to help organize the library, where we keep all of our product samples; from fabrics to furniture, flooring to tiles, and lots and lots of paint! I never knew there were so many shades of taupe! Aside from helping sort and organize our sample library, one of my favorite things is to watch the designers through the process of laying out and designing each of their different projects. Projects that we work on rage all different sizes and timeframes. We work on small accounts like elevators and restrooms, to designing massive building facades and lobbies. 

Last week I had the amazing opportunity to get a tour of a finished job site that one of our designers had just completed. When I was first presented with the offer to come visit the site, I was completely stoked to see the final product of something that many people had been working very hard on. The project was an old technology office building, that we had converted into a huge modern functional multi use office space. Some of my favorite parts of this building, were the fact that all the walls had been knocked down, and the entire space was opened up and flooded with natural light. The coolest part of the building was the outdoor space provided in the back. I learned that a lot of the new companies are trying to compete with big top dog corporations like Apple and Google, who have created a lot of different ammentities for their employees to enjoy while not working. This particular building had a basketball court outside, along with a horse shoe pit, outdoor tables, a barbecue and even a nice garden. That sounds like my kind of work place! I learned so much from my few hours spent at this newly completed property, and I really hope that I will have many more opportunities like this in my future! 

-LH

8 comments:

  1. Luke! Your internship sounds so cool and interesting. I really see you becoming successful in this industry. I remember in 8th grade we had math, and you have always had a great sense of style. I would love to see some before and after photos of the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote in the beginning- great touch to this awesome post! Your passion is inspiring. I am so interested in reading about your experience because you're the only person I know that has wanted to pursue interior design, in the class of 2016. It's so amazing how you're slowly getting introduced to new things within the course of a few weeks. I am happy that you like the people in the office, it's not so common that people like their co workers! I only wish the best for you.
    -Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being able to visit a site and really look at the process it takes to complete something like that. It is incredible that you are able to learn all of the small details like materials and tiles. There is so much to learn, and it is awesome that you are able to soak up that information in high school through this program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being able to visit a site and really look at the process it takes to complete something like that. It is incredible that you are able to learn all of the small details like materials and tiles. There is so much to learn, and it is awesome that you are able to soak up that information in high school through this program.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being able to visit a site and really look at the process it takes to complete something like that. It is incredible that you are able to learn all of the small details like materials and tiles. There is so much to learn, and it is awesome that you are able to soak up that information in high school through this program/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must have been very rewarding to see some of your advice pay off. This post made me realize how important your field of work has on business success. The competition for corporations to create these beautiful workplaces is the foundation of their hard work and creativity. Sounds like you're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on all the cool job sites that you got to see! It sounds like an absolute HGTV dream ( I'm obsessed with that channel too). I can't wait to see if you get to design anything. You are always dressed so nice so I have no doubt you would kill it. You have made me take a closer look at all of the designs we take for granted everyday! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete